ENTSO-E’s pilot Ten-Year Network Development Plan (TYNDP) was published on 30 June 2010. The publication of the TYNDP 2010 marked the end of a significant effort by ENTSO-E, with support from the European Commission, ERGEG, and many key stakeholders, to fulfill one of its major tasks according to European legislation.
This achievement involved a six week public consultation process from 1 March until 11 April, including a stakeholder workshop on 19 March.
The publication of TYNDP 2010 also marked the beginning of even more intense work leading to the second release of the plan in June 2012. Please follow this link for further information on TYNDP 2012.
The TYNDP presents a forward-looking proposal for electricity transmission infrastructure investments across 34 European countries. In accordance with EU Regulation (EC) 714/2009 on cross-border electricity exchanges, the TYNDP is a non-binding plan, to be updated every two years. This first release of the TYNDP puts forward a total of close to 500 investment projects, worth 23-28€ billion over the first five years.
The objectives of the TYNDP are to ensure transparency regarding the electricity transmission network and to support decision-making processes at regional and European level. The report is the most comprehensive and up-to-date European-wide reference for the transmission network. It points to significant investments in the European power grid in order to help achieve the European energy policy goals:
- increasing the use of renewable energy sources (RES) to 20% of total energy production by 2020;
- further promoting the Internal Energy Market (IEM) by alleviating congestion on the transmission network;
- ensuring security of supply (SoS) and system reliability of an increasingly complex transmission system connecting 525 million citizens across the ENTSO-E area.
Meeting these goals demands some 35,000 km of new transmission lines and 7,000 km of existing line upgrades. Out of the total of 42,000 km, which represents 14% of the existing transmission lines, TSOs plan to complete 44% of the work in the coming five years, and about 56% in the following five-year period.
- TYNDP full document (PDF, 30mb)
- Executive Summary (PDF, 3mb)
- Report on Consultation results & Consultation responses (PDF 4mb)
- Table of Projects (XLS, 300kb)
- Map of pan-European projects, 2010-2014 (PDF 3mb)
- Map of pan-European projects, 2015-2020 (PDF 3mb)
- TYNDP proclamation
- Press Release (English, doc)
- Press release (DE, DK, ES, FI, HU, FR, NL, PL, SE (ZIP))
- TYNDP 2012
ENTSO-E assumes no liability in the case of any direct, indirect or subsequent damages which occur in any way in connection with the use of the information and the data contained in the TYNDP report or in any official ENTSO-E related document. Use of information and data is to be understood in the broad sense and would include, for example, transmission, display, reuse, reproduction, publication or creation of any derivative work. Irrespective of the above, any use of information and data contained in the TYNDP should enunciate the source of the data and information.