ENTSO-E is the European Network of Transmission System Operators for Electricity. ENTSO-E coordinates the cross-border system operations, system development and electricity market activities of 42 electricity transmission system operators (TSOs) which cover 35 countries. ENTSO-E was established and given legal mandates by the EU’s Third Legislative Package for the Internal Energy Market in 2009, which aims at further liberalising the gas and electricity markets in the EU; the legal mandates include the Europe-wide electricity network development plans, network codes and the transparency platform.
The ENTSO-E Secretariat in Brussels is focal point for technical, market and policy questions for all European TSOs in their cooperation with each other, in their joint fulfilment of their legal mandates, and in the intensive interactions with European Commission, regulatory agencies, associations representing network users and other stakeholders. The ENTSO-E Secretariat is a multinational team of more than 70 staff, including secondments from member companies.
The role of the TSOs and their cooperation in ENTSO-E is crucial to ensuring security of supply; completing the largest and most competitive electricity market in the world; and successfully introducing large volumes of renewable energy into the system. The scope and diversity of ENTSO-E’s work has grown rapidly and is expected to grow further with implementation of network codes and the EU’s Energy Union. The Advisor we are seeking will contribute to this further substantial development of ENTSO-E’s work.
General position description
The successful candidate will work at the ENTSO-E Head-Quarter in Brussels, report directly to the Manager of Digital Section. This section is responsible for data management, security management, inter-operability and infrastructure network.
The role of the Data Architect is concerned with designing, creating, deploying and managing an organization’s data architecture. Data architects define how the data will be stored, consumed, integrated and managed by different data entities and IT systems, as well as any applications using or processing that data in some way.Therefore, he has to define the data strategy of Entso-E, and propose to guidelines, improvements and requests to ensure a good data quality.
This includes to work on different projects to support and/or advice the Entso-E staff across all departments in the Head-Quarter’s. The Data Architect will dig into the data and retrieve, classify or design them to help the business to get the needed information in the expected delay.
He/she will also work with different vendors, review and challenge their proposals to ensure that it is aligned with the defined strategy.
Specific responsibilities and tasks
The role is a key person for the Digital Section of ENTSO-E, guardian of the data warehouse! Data enthusiastic, he has a helicopter view on our data bases to define a strong strategy which will enhance Entso-E to manage efficiently all its challenges. He/she will have to work on any aspect of data, sometimes with external counterparties, but also on his own. The data team is made up of 2 people under the responsibility of Data Architect.
Specific responsibilities may change over time, however the current tasks include:
• Leading data domain
• Designing ETL processes
• Processing confidential data and information according to guidelines
• Preparing strategy for technological evolution related to data
• Perform business/functional analysis and manage vendors to build, develop or improve systems
• Measure the quality delivered by vendors and suppliers
• Data modelling, RDBMS as well as NoSQL
• Operate on big data sets retrieved from different sources in high availability environment
• Proven work experience as a Data Architect or similar role (minimum 3 years in a similar role)
• In-depth understanding of database structure principles
• Experience in gathering and analyzing system requirements
• Knowledge of data mining techniques
• Strong knowledge of and experience with databases (MS SQL, MySQL, MongoDB etc), programming (T-SQL, Python, R, Visual Basic etc.), data integration software (SSIS, Talend, Pentaho), visual analytics tools (Tableau, SSRS etc.)
• Experience in Database Performance Tuning
• Proven analytical skills, able to think strategically
• Problem-solving attitude having a good view on the consequences if some risks are not mitigated (and able to explain it to the business)
• Business fluent in English mandatory (oral and written)
• Project management experience is an asset
• Knowledge of Apache Spark is an asset