An optimised onshore and offshore grid architecture is essential for the integration of renewable energy in the European power system. To become climate-neutral the EU needs 300 GW of offshore wind by 2050. The interoperability of multi-terminal and multi-vendor HVDC systems is essential to achieve this.
ENTSO-E, T&D Europe and WindEurope have teamed up to tackle the challenge of HVDC interoperability in offshore wind development. We will be pleased to publish a joint report on “The development of multi-vendor HVDC systems and other power electronics interfaced devices”. It will set out our views on the technology options to deliver multi-terminal, multi-purpose HVDC systems integrating multiple converter stations from a variety of technology providers.
On 21 June from 14:30 to 17:00 CEST, the three associations organise a webinar to go through the outcomes of this joint workstream. A panel session will allow ENTSO-E, T&D Europe and WindEurope to discuss their perspectives on HVDC interoperability with a broad audience.
Draft agenda of the discussion:
- Opening – Moderators: Vasiliki Klonari (WindEurope) & Paulius Butkus (ENTSO-E)
Statement by Director DG Energy
- Catharina Sikow-Magny
Statements by ENTSO-E, T&D Europe, WindEurope:
- Hakon Borgen – RDIC Chair, ENTSO-E
- Jochen Kreusel – Deputy President, T&D Europe
- Giles Dickson – CEO, WindEurope
Introduction and overview of workstreams – Norela Constantinescu (ENTSO-E)
- Standardized interaction study processes and interfaces – Olivier Despouys (RTE)
- Assessment of interoperability in multi-vendor HVDC systems – Mario Ndreko (Tennet)
- Multi-terminal, multi-vendor real industrial scale project – Pablo Briff (T&D Europe)
- Cooperation framework and governance – Tobias Møller Ruby (Ørsted) & Simon Wenig (Transnetbw)
- Network planning, project financing and procurement – Philipp Ruffing (Amprion)
Panel discussion - Moderators: Vasiliki Klonari (WindEurope) & Paulius Butkus (ENTSO-E)
- Mark Van Stiphout (DG Energy)
- Frank Schettler (T&D Europe)
- Wilhelm Winter (ENTSO-E/Tennet)
- Troels Stybe Sørensen (Ørsted)
- Conclusion word - Moderators: Vasiliki Klonari (WindEurope) & Paulius Butkus (ENTSO-E)
You can register to the webinar here. Registered participants will receive the report by email.