ENTSO-E is the European Network of Transmission System Operators for Electricity. ENTSO-E coordinates the cross-border system operations, system development and electricity market activities of 42 electricity transmission system operators (TSOs) which cover 35 countries. ENTSO-E was established and given legal mandates by the EU’s Third Legislative Package for the Internal Energy Market in 2009, which aims at further liberalising the gas and electricity markets in the EU; the legal mandates include the Europe-wide electricity network development plans, network codes and the transparency platform.
The ENTSO-E Secretariat in Brussels is focal point for technical, market and policy questions for all European TSOs in their cooperation with each other, in their joint fulfilment of their legal mandates, and in the intensive interactions with European Commission, regulatory agencies, associations representing network users and other stakeholders. The ENTSO-E Secretariat is a multinational team of more than 70 staff, including secondments from member companies.
The role of the TSOs and their cooperation in ENTSO-E is crucial to ensuring security of supply; completing the largest and most competitive electricity market in the world; and successfully introducing large volumes of renewable energy into the system. The scope and diversity of ENTSO-E’s work has grown rapidly, and is expected to grow further with implementation of network codes and the EU’s Energy Union. The Advisor we are seeking will contribute to this further substantial development of ENTSO-E’s work.
General position description
The successful candidate will work at the ENTSO-E Head-Quarter in Brussels, report directly to the Manager of System Operations. The Secretariat’s Operations section has 8 permanent staff and is supported by experts from Member TSOs and contractors, as needed for specific projects. He/she will also cooperate and work collaboratively with the Entso-E staff across all departments in the Head-Quarter’s program management structure. Significant travel will be required.
The role will involve working at the most strategic levels of System Operations supporting the management in delivering the business initiatives and tasks which include leading projects for the Network Code Implementation managed by the System Operations Committee (SOC). The role will include support and participation into Operations’ strategic topics related to implementation of the Clean Energy Package under the System Operations Committee (SOC). Also, cross-committee alignment and engagement in projects will be highly required.
System Operations Committee is also overseeing the pan-European alignment and development of IT tools needed to monitor, supervise and coordinate the real-time operation of the interconnected grid. The open position within ENTSO-E Secretariat will involve coordination and guidance for delivering all business requirements imposed by the Legal mandates of the Association.
Specific responsibilities and tasks
The role is a key person for the Operations Section of ENTSO-E providing Stakeholder Engagement and Readiness support and leadership internally and externally including representations in meetings, developing position papers, implementation projects under Network Codes, and supporting key groups under several ENTSO-E bodies.
Specific responsibilities may change over time, however the current tasks include:
• Initiate projects and assign resources seeking guidance from management and other advisors to ensure the day-to-day work of System Operations and the Steering Groups for SOC are well managed and supported by Entso-E
• Provide key role in the implementation of best practice for Stakeholder Engagement in project and programme management especially during the Network Codes and Clean Energy Package implementation
• Management and coordination of TSO queries and Requests for Information as required
• Improve and support wider initiatives where appropriate, and maintain an efficient and transparent, exchange of all relevant information on contents / deadlines of project implementation and especially in communication to management and SOC
• Lead and support SOC Steering Groups such as Steering Group Operations, Strategy, IT&Tools including providing support where necessary for working groups related to coordination of system operation
• Interactions with all Committees and LRG, Board, Assembly, with TSO members, with ACER, with the European Commission, at times with Members of the European Parliament, and with other stakeholders
• Working transversely and collaboratively with the managers, senior advisors and advisors providing guidance and direction where needed
• University degree with expert knowledge of power systems, regulated markets or economics with relevant experience post qualification (at least 7 years’ experience preferably managing large teams or projects).
• Excellent skills communication, negotiation, influencing skills and experience in facilitating consensus and building relationships with policy makers regulators, members of parliament and industry stakeholders,
• Excellent writing and presentation skills in English and proven experience of writing policy/position papers.
• Relevant work experience in TSO business with proven expertise in the energy sector, preferably in TSO system operations issues.
• Stakeholder management expertise in the communication with multiple parties.
• Proven expertise in project and program management for complex IT projects, managing resources and assessing priorities; preferably experience in a matrix management environment.
• Strong organisation and coordination skills working across multiple groups and disciplines
• Significant travel will be required on a Europe-wide basis.
• Expertise in working MS Office (Excel and MS Project) and with complex datasets.